Saturday, April 25, 2009

Key lime pie from delicious. uk


delicious. magazine's UK April issue contains several inspiring recipes: The Roasted cherry tomato tarte tatin will definatley be made by me as soon as tomatoes are edible here. What can make you weep as a Canadian is the greeness of April in England and that their growing season is so much longer than ours especially if you live up north as I do. I comfort myself with the fact that we receive much less rain. The Australian delicious. really highlights the difference climate makes in what you eat and how you entertain. The Australian Christmas issue of delicious. includes the traditional British fare (like sticky pudding), but it also includes many recipes that would only make their appearance in a North-American magazine in July and August. And the overall color palette is so... well...sunny! I am a proud Canadian but I do feel a bit uninspired at this time of year by the long wait before any true local produce will be offered up.

Last Friday I made the Key lime pie from the April issue which, if it depended on local produce, would never be made. It was amazing or should I say delicious? I have typed it up for you below. The recipe makes quiet a large pie so I suggest it as a perfect dessert for when you are expecting guests. I wish I had as I ended up having some for breakfast to.


Key Lime Pie
(I have made several changes for North-American use)
serves 10-12 slices

8 egg yolks
2 x 300 ml cans of condensed sweetend milk
juice and grated zest of 5 limes, plus extra grated zest to decorate
450ml whipping cream (35%)

For crust
200ml unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
500g graham cookies

1. Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a large deep dish pie plate. For the crust, roughly break up the cookies and put them in the food processor. Process until finely ground. Slowly pour in the melted butter while the motor is running. Press the mixture into the base and neatly up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for about 20 minutes or until deep golden and firm. Cool completely. Turn oven down to 325F.

2. Put the eggs yolks, condensed milk and lime juice and zest in a glass bowl and mix gently with a ballon whisk until all the ingredients are very well incorporated. The mixture will thicken naturally.

3. Pour into the cold pie crust and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. The filling should be firm to the touch but still very slightly soft in the centre (not wobbly!). Cool completely, then cover and chill for at least an hour, or overnight if possible.

4.When you are ready to serve the pie, whip the cream until soft peaks form, them spread over pie. Decorate with the lime zest, slice and serve.




Here is a handy site for when you want to convert celsius to fahrenheit as I did for this Brit. recipe. Click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly