Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Food Coloring free "Jello" recipe












I
have been practising, since Easter, the art of avoiding feeding food coloring to my children. This is no easy task. I discovered last weekend to my son's dismay that Compliments marshmallows have food coloring in them! Who can tell me which color is required...I am very curious.



Here is a recipe I came up with to replace
Jello as a quick weekday dessert.

















Natural fruit jelly with berries
  • 355 ml Concentrated frozen 100% juice (I recommend white grape or apple)
  • 125 ml / 1/2 cup spring water
  • 1 package of gelatin (7 g or 1 tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries

Blend the concentrated juice and water together. Transfer 125 ml / 1/2 cup of juice to a small bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin and let sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, bring another 125 ml of juice to a simmer. Remove from heat. Pour over the bowl containing gelatin and stir to dissolve (1-2 minutes). Pour contents of bowl into remaining juice and stir to blend. Divide the frozen berries between 4 small dessert bowls,preferably glass. Fill each bowl with the gelatin juice blend. The berries will lend a attractive pinkish hue to the "jello". Let set in refrigerator (about 4 hours). Serve and Enjoy. To dress these desserts up garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a mint sprig.

My 2 year old daughter dislikes the berries and picks them out which makes quiet a mess. I continue to stubbornly set berries before her with the hope that one day she will discover she likes them. This technique although tedious for both parties does sometimes work as it did for my daughter with broccoli!







Hi I don't like fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly