Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Fudge & Double Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti



Today my son's primary school held their annual Christmas bazaar to raise money for various activities. Their bake sale table is one of their best money earners. Fudge is king of the bake sale table, and so I thought I would prepare as many kinds as my schedule allowed. Fudge can be tricky, but I find my digital thermometer removes any room for error. At the beginning of the week I was worried about whether I would have enough time so I prepared Carnation's five minute fudge. It is my go to bake sale panic recipe.



I also made a batch of Chocolate Mint Fudge (love that flavor combination), and Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Fudge. There are no nuts in these fudges due to some severe allergies at my sons' school, but I do urge anyone trying them to include the walnuts in the five minute fudge and perhaps toasted pecans in the Vanilla Bean White Chocolate Fudge. Here is a link to the Vanilla Fudge recipe I used. When the fudge reached 120F I added 150 g / 5 oz of quality white chocolate. Then proceeded with the recipe. You could also add dark or milk chocolate instead of white chocolate. Fudge is, by the way, a great treat for the gluten intolerant!

I also made Regan Daley's Double Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti. A little espresso and frangelico liqueur make these biscotti the grownup choice at the bake sale table. I highly recommend Regan Daley's In the Sweet Kitchen (source of the biscotti recipe). It is a great cookbook packed with baking tips and inventive delicious recipes. My copy is so used it is falling apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly