Friday, March 18, 2011

Big Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies




I used to down a box of Raisin Glosettes at every movie I went to as a teenager. As I grew up, like many, I moved away from candy and candy bars generally as a go to treat preferring more sophisticated sweets and better quality chocolate. But every once in a while I crave the comfort candy of my younger years. These cookies are like glosettes in a cookie and soooo sweet. 1 is enough because of their sweetness and because I scooped the cookie batter generously (so really they are like 2 cookies in 1). It's nice to be able to say I was happy with my one cookie. It shows maturity and restraint in a delusional sort of way.

Adapted from the inspiring Moosewood Restaurant New Classic cook book:

Big Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies

  • 180 ml / 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 375 ml / 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 375 ml / 1 1/2 unbleached white flour
  • 180 ml / 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used spelt flour)
  • 5 ml / 1 tsp baking soda
  • 5 ml / 1 tsp salt
  • 10 ml / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 500 ml / 2 cups chocolate chips*
  • 250 ml / 1 cup raisins

*I do recommend using dark chocolate chips if you can as the raisins add enough sweetness.

Pre-heat oven to 375F.

In a bowl cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs 1 at a time until well blended. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, sift together dry ingredients minus chocolate chips and raisins. Add dry ingredients to the wet and beat a few times to mix. Add chocolate chips and raisins and beat for a second or two to incorporate. Scoop these guys as big or as little as you like onto a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. I like the proportions of about 2 heaping tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie. Be sure to leave ample room between cookie dough scoops. Cook in middle rack of oven until golden around edges (about 10 minutes). May need more time in oven if cookies are very large.

Yield: 20 three inch cookies (if scooping a scant 50 ml / 1/4 cup of cookie dough)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly