Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What to do with Zucchini?



Having no wish to again bite into zucchini that has grown too monstrously big due to a vegetable garden left unattended (spongy, flavourless, large indigestible seeds). I picked all my zucchini (small and large), and threw them in my fridge with the intention of processing them all as soon as possible.  School has truly begun now, and the first order of business is cranking out some baked goods for lunch boxes.  I trolled my favorite websites for new recipes, and am including 2 I tried here. Plus one simple soup recipe of my own. If you are stuck with too large zucchini try stuffing them. Enjoy!

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread


There are so many variations on this recipe, and I love them all.  I used white chocolate chips in this recipe because of my son's love of white chocolate.  I also love Underthehighchairs' version  (adapted from The Joy of Baking), which uses a half whole wheat, half all purpose flour for a little nutritional boost.   This cake is moist, and the chocolate flavour is strong and satisfying.  Using high quality dark chocolate chips will produce a less sweet more adult friendly version of this bread.  When the loaf has cooled slice and wrap individual slices in plastic wrap.  Freeze in a self sealing plastic bag.  Pop one into your lunch box in the morning for a snack or dessert. Makes great muffins too.  Just up the oven temperature to 200C (400 F) and bake for 15-18 minutes.


Zucchini banana flax seed muffins

A very strong muffin recipe, and very moist even though they are low in fat.  I made 2 adjustments to the recipe.  I reduced the sugar by 1/4th and I added 180 ml (3/4 cup) of sour cream and 60 ml (1/4 cup) of milk as opposed to the 250 ml (1 cup) of milk asked for in the recipe.

Cream of Zucchini Soup 

Serves 4

  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 medium zucchini, large dice
  • 2 medium potatoes, large dice
  • 2 sage leaves, chopped
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) rosemary, chopped
  • 1 l (4 cups) vegetable stock
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 60 ml (1/4 cup) 35% cream
  • In a large saucepan saute the onions in the olive oil over medium high heat for 7 minutes or until slightly golden.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add the zucchini and potatoes, and saute for 5 minutes more. Add the stock and herbs, and let simmer until potatoes are fork tender (about 15 minutes).  Remove the soup from the heat and let cool.  Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth.  Add the soup back to the pot and season to taste.  When ready to serve heat the soup over medium, and add the cream.  Do not let boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly