Braised Chicken with
Aborio Rice and Fresh Herbs
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1.5 l (6 cups) chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed, giblets removed
- 5 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme,
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) crushed peppercorns
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) aborio rice
- Pre-heat oven to (105C) 225 F.
- Saute the two onions in olive oil until slightly caramelized (7-8 minutes). Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with 60 ml (1/4 cup) of chicken stock, and add the contents of the saute pan to a dutch oven. Add the chicken, remaining chicken stock, herbs, peppercorns, and celery to the dutch oven. On the stove top over medium heat bring the dutch oven to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat, cover and place on the center rack of oven. Cook for 6-7 hours: adding the aborio rice for the last 35 minutes. Serve with steamed broccoli or sweet peas.