Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Simple Summer Pasta


I now pick up a "basket" of organic summer vegetables every Wednesday through Ferme aux petit oignons.  Between 3:30-6:30 pm I go to the cafe/store Manger Santé, and choose a wide variety of vegetables for 24$.  I look in my large tote bag once I have taken my share, and am very happy to observe that I have way more than what 24$ would buy me in a store. Manger Santé located on the main strip of Saint-Sauveur (rue Principale), has gourmet and health food products, and a little cafe that serves breakfast,  healthy desserts and light lunches.  I have not eaten there yet but it smells so good inside that I plan on going very soon to try a brownie and a chai tea.

I threw together a quick pasta with a little of what I received from Ferme aux petit oignons.


This picture does not include the cheese because my kids insist on putting their own on

Simple Summer Pasta
Serves 2
  • 250 g (1/2 lb) spaghettini pasta
  • 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
  • 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, grated
  • 2 scapes, minced
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) Parmesan or Romano cheese,  grated
  • To taste salt and pepper
  • Sufficient quantity basil leaves, torn
  • Cook the pasta according to the manufacturers instructions.
  • Saute the zucchini in olive oil over medium high heat until water has evaporated, and squash begins to brown. Add scapes & garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, and turn down the heat to medium. Cook until tomatoes start to break down, and a light sauce forms (about 5 minutes). Season to taste, and toss in hot pasta & cheese. Divide pasta among bowls, and sprinkle generously with torn basil leaves and more pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly