Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cooking with children

I recommend reading an article on the blog Simplemom about cooking with your children. It has given me the incentive to do it more often. I do bake with my kids on special occasions but shoo them away when ever heat is involved. At a minimum, I hope to release my children into the world with basic cooking skills. For my son I have planned (if he isn't really into cooking), to arm him with perhaps 5 basic recipes so that he can avoid take out in the single years. My top picks would be:
  • Tomato and/ or meat sauce with pasta
  • Mac and cheese
  • Sheppard's pie
  • Basic stir fry
  • Roast chicken
If he loves to cook well then...that's a different story, but I think he can fare well in life with these 5. If he continues with his vegetarian tendencies 4 of the recipes can be adapted easily. The roast chicken can be replaced by marinated and roasted tofu. Or I can replace it with say...moussaka or a great vegetarian pate. As for my daughter well its too early to tell. If either one of them wanted to be a chef I would be ecstatic but I do not intend to push it on them. I hope to also teach them how to prepare vegetables properly so that they may always include and enjoy them as part of their meals.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have an e-mail address to reach you. We would love to see your book.

    If you want, you can send it to me at info@soma.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food is so beautiful! I would be happy to send you my list about dyes. It doesn't post correctly. You may email me at: fooddyediaries@gmail.com

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Laurie.I am new to thinking about food dyes but something must be done!

    ReplyDelete

Printer friendly