Friday, August 7, 2009

Corn and Zucchini Chowder



This morning I was in my office planning on spending the day inside doing research for an upcoming food styling contract when the sun came out! So I gathered up all my research material and headed outside for a little much needed vitamin D and a moral boost. As I sat there with my 1970's Gourmet magazines in front of me it started to rain... of course! I looked up too see a sunny sky with a few fluffy white clouds and no reason for the rain whatsoever. I continued on as the skies continued to spit at me and only grumped my way back inside when I saw that my sketches were getting a little too moist to continue. What is up with that. There seemed to be no source for the rain...no grey clouds. For my friends in Mont-Laurier I do apologize! Being spit on is not much to complain about considering the tornado you endured a few days ago.

While stubbornly ignoring the rain I scanned old magazines and cookbooks for examples of 1970s fine cuisine, and as far as I can tell there weren't any. I think Classic French Cuisine saved many a palate in the 70s. Food styling back then was often bad news. A lot of static symmetry, strange or irrelevant deco and way too much gelatin. When my upcoming contract is done I plan on writing a fun little post on 70s cooking.

But for now how about a simple Corn and Zucchini Chowder using seasonal ingredients? I think this summer defiantly calls for a little soup and a lot of wine but that's another story.



Corn and Zucchini Chowder


T=tablespoon
t=teaspoon

30 ml / 2 T Olive oil
15 ml / 1 T Butter
1 Medium onion, brunoise (small dice)
3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
6 Corn cobs, cooked, kernels removed from the cob
1 Medium zucchini, brunoise
1 t Savory, finely chopped
1 L / 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
125 ml / 1/2 cup 35% cream
1 T chives, finely chopped (optional)
4 sprigs of savory (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

  • Heat oil and butter in a large sauce pan.
  • Add onion and saute at medium high until translucent.
  • Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
  • Add zucchini and savory and saute for 2 minutes more.
  • Add corn and stock and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat immediately and simmer chowder for 5 minutes.
  • Then add cream and simmer for 2 minutes.
  • Taste and add salt and pepper accordingly.
  • When serving sprinkle with chives and/or serve with a sprig of savory.
Enjoy and have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly