Thursday, June 17, 2010

Devil's Food Cherry Cupcakes & Chocolate Chip Vanilla Bean Cupcakes




I made some cupcakes for my daughter's end of year daycare BBQ. I always volunteer the dessert so that I can guarantee my son (who was also attending), will be able to eat something sweet. My son does not eat artificial food coloring as I have mentioned before. I made both batches of cupcakes from recipes at Marthastewart.com which has always been a reliable recipe resource for me. The BBQ itself is always a little overwhelming for parents as it is really difficult to keep an eye on your kids with so many kids running around, but I was among some good friends which always helps. When the dads showed up 3 moms and I took off for dinner in town at my old cooking school's restaurant Le Saucier. It was their last service before summer vacation.



For the recipes click below:

Vanilla cupcakes

Chocolate Chip Vanilla Bean Cupcakes:
I added one vanilla bean's seeds to the batter for even more vanilla flavor. I like to add vanilla beans because the seeds are visually appealing. To the batter I also added 250 ml / 1 cup chocolate chips (more to garnish). I doubled the vanilla icing recipe, divided it and added 75 ml / 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to half the icing in order to ice the Devil's Food Cupcakes. To the vanilla icing I added the beans of half a vanilla bean.



Devil's Food Cupcakes

Devil's Food Cherry Cupcakes:
To the Devil's food cupcakes I added 250 ml / 1 cup chopped up fresh pitted cherries. I thought that it would be nice to garnish the Devil's Food Cherry Cupcakes with Chantilly Cream and chocolate shavings making them Black Forest Cupcakes. Unfortunately whipped cream would not have worked well in the sweltering heat and bizarrely my son doesn't like whipped cream. Another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly