Friday, July 30, 2010

Raspberry Almond Ice Cream and Poached Peaches



This ice cream came to be after and incident with no cook freezer raspberry jam. I bought a large quantity of raspberries that were very ripe with the intention of making a pie or 2. I realized I had about an hour to spare on the raspberries, and that by the next time I could get at them they wold have gone bad. So I bought what I though was enough pectin and went to work. I disobeyed the golden rule of cooking and did not read the recipe first. I discovered that I did not have enough sugar and that I had not bought enough pectin and on it went. I ended up freezing what I made in jars as if I had made the jam correctly with the intention of using them for mousse, ice cream, coulis etc...

So first up with my failed freezer jam is ice cream. I have added a recipe for raspberry coulis as I expect no one to be in my predicament. Here is my go to recipe for vanilla ice cream which I use as a base for many other ice cream recipes:

Vanilla Ice Cream

500 ml / 2 cups 35% whipping cream
2 whole eggs
175 ml / 3/4 cup sugar
250 ml / 1 cup whole milk
5 ml / 1 t vanilla (I used almond extract)

Raspberry coulis*:
500 ml / 2 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries
125 ml / 1/2 cup sugar

*I used 250 ml / 1 cup of seeded failed raspberry freezer jam

In a large bowl whisk together 250 ml / 1 cup of cream, the eggs and 60 ml / 1/4 cup of sugar. In a sauce pan add the rest of the cream, the milk and the remaining sugar. On medium low heat bring the cream/milk mixture to scalding and remove from heat. While whisking vigorously pour the hot cream/milk into the cream/egg mixture. Pour the custard into the sauce pan and stir continuously with a wooden spoon cooking the custard over medium heat for several minutes. The custard will be done when a little steam rises from the custard and the custard has thickened slightly.

Remove from heat and strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Add the vanilla or in this case almond extract and stir. Chill in the refrigerator or use an ice bath to chill the custard quickly.

Coulis: Place raspberries in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and press through with a rubber spatula. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.

When the custard has thoroughly chilled add 1 cup of raspberry coulis and stir. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufactures' instructions.

Yield: 1.5 liters / 6 cups

Note: When I have vanilla beans kicking around the pantry I add the seeds and pod of a bean to the cream/milk mixture. I remove the pod before cooking the custard.


For the peaches:

Poached Peaches

This is a Martha Stewart recipe. Because I am pairing the peaches with Raspberry Almond Ice Cream I wanted to keep the flavors of the poaching liquid simple so I used 30 ml / 2 T of Kirsch instead of wine and no other spices or flavours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly