Friday, August 6, 2010

Bread & Butter Zucchini Pickle



Today I finally photographed the last jar of zucchini pickle, and so tonight we will crack it open! I have been meaning to do it for months. The only change I made to the following recipe is the use of yellow summer squash (about 8 cups summer squash to 8 cups zucchini). I liked the color contrast. It's an easy recipe and the results are quiet good. Last year in our garden the first zucchini appeared in September, and this year it was the beginning of July. I hope, this year, to make more than the meager 6 jars of last fall.



Bread and Butter Zucchini pickle
adapted from Cooks.com

16 cups sliced zucchini
4 cups thinly sliced onion
1/2 cup pickling salt (not iodized)
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
4 T mustard seeds
2 T celery seeds
2 t ground turmeric

Cover zucchini and onion slices with 1 inch of water and salt. Let stand 2 hours and drain thoroughly. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add zucchini and onions. Simmer 5 minutes and fill jars with mixture and pickling solution leaving 1/2 inch space at the top. Adjust caps and process in a boiling water bath 15 minutes.



I am working on a film right now and am in the midst of preparing Christmas dinner. Ahhh ...Christmas in August. I received more than a few quizzical looks standing in line at the check out with 4 turkeys and 3 hams in my cart...never mind the 10 cans of cranberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly