Monday, March 5, 2012

Maple Syrup Scones based on The Hairy Bakers Maple Syrup, Walnut and Buttermilk Wholemeal Scones



In March the sap starts flowing here in Quebec, even though it is -15 right now, and I would bet that the sap is not actually flowing right this minute as I write this. I am not sure if I will be heading out to a Cabane a sucre this year, but I do plan on devoting this month to posting recipes that contain maple syrup. Considering that I have been posting about once or twice a month since before Christmas my plan may seem underwhelming. However March seems to be clear work wise, and I hope to post once a week as I always intended.  It is not as easy I hoped it would be.  I cook for work, I cook at home and I cook for my blog, and between all that cooking I am trying to the find time to spend time with my kids who seem to be growing up so fast these days.  My son has literally grown an inch in 2 months and has just recently asked to read his own books at bedtime instead of being read to.  I am proud of him, but am a little sad to know that that phase is over. 

I have an evil plan that involves, besides trying to be a good mom, continuously making the kind of food that lures my children home no matter where they head off to in the world.  I want my children as adults to look at their spouses pleadingly and say: "We have to go to my mom's for Christmas.  It won't be Christmas without mom's fill in the blanks with incredible sounding recipes my children have been enjoying since childhood...".  In keeping with my plan scones happen to be one of my son's favorite snacks.  This scone recipe has been tinkered with a lot, and I have converted grams to cups for North American readers. I have also omitted the nuts because of allergy restrictions at my son's school. The original recipe calls for crushed walnuts which I would recommend adding if nut restrictions are not a concern.

Maple Scones
(based on The Hairy Bakers recipe)
makes 12
  • 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) spelt flour
  • 250 ml (1 cup) oatmeal, finely ground in food processor
  • 180 ml (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour
  • 75 ml (1/3 cup) sugar, finely ground in food processor
  • 15 ml + 1 ml (1 T and 1/4 t) baking powder
  • 10 ml (2 t) baking soda
  • 160 g (160 ml) unsalted butter, in small bits
  • 125 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
  • 150 ml (1/2 cup + 1 T+ 2t) maple syrup

Pre-heat oven to 200C (400F). Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add the butter and rub the butter in with hands until the flour mixture is crumbly. Mix together the buttermilk and maple syrup.  Add to the dry mixture and fold until just blended. Bring dough together with hands, taking care to not over handle. Press the dough down until about 1 inch thick.  Use a small drinking glass to cut out scones. Bake in the center of oven for 10 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printer friendly