Friday, September 3, 2010

Labour Day Weekend


My family and I are heading up to the lakeside home of friends in Mont-Laurier for the long weekend. Our get together features a mechoui and an un-birthday party (weather be dammed!). I decided to make an Italian apple cake I have been making for years and have already posted about here. I bought new apples at the market last weekend and this recipe depends on the freshness of the apples as they make up so much of the mass of the cake. My kitchen is presently a sauna, but baking had to be done. I am all for an Indian summer, but would like to forgo the flop sweating...I am just saying.



I quadrupled the recipe which is always a gamble when baking, but the recipe is simple enough so I gave it a try and it has turned out well. Here are the quantities (4X) for a cake that will feed about 40 people:

fits well in a : 45 cm x 30 cm (18 inches x 12 inches) cake pan

24 medium sized apples

1.5 l / 6 cups all purpose flour
20 ml / 1 T + 1/2 t salt
60 ml / 4 T baking powder
2 lemons
250 ml / 1 cup unsalted butter
1 l / 4 cup sugar
8 eggs
250 ml / 1 cup milk

Click on Italian Apple Cake for the original recipe with the method.



1 comment:

  1. the mont-laurier friendSeptember 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM

    That cake was (and is still) delicious! It was the perfect desert for our mechoui. Thanks Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete

Printer friendly